Manning Publications Co. seeks Developmental Editors to work directly with book authors to create high-quality manuscripts on time. Ideal candidates are critical thinkers who skillfully identify and articulate weaknesses in a manuscript's organization and writing, adopt a coaching/mentoring role with authors, firmly but diplomatically communicate with authors, work both independently and in a distributed team environment, and reliably meet deadlines. Candidates must possess passing knowledge of software concepts and technologies (such as mobile application development, responsive design, cloud computing, big data and analytics, and agile and lean development). This is a great position for someone looking for part-time work (15-20 hours a week).
• Coach authors on techniques for how to teach difficult or important concepts in their manuscript
• Identify opportunities for authors to improve organization, presentation, clarity, and value to the book's intended audience
• Continually assess manuscript content at a high level
• Manage the book-development process so that authors are completing manuscripts by due dates
• Ensure that manuscripts adhere to Manning's writing guidelines
• Provide project status and content assessment to publisher, acquisition editor, development manager and other Manning staff
• Contribute to the ongoing assessment and improvement of editorial procedures and standards
• Perform occasional tasks related to the marketing of books
Please note: This position does not include copy editing duties
Must have requirements
• General understanding of technical concepts, software development, and current industry trends
• 1+ years previous substantive editing experience
• Must be available for a minimum of 20 hours per week (primarily during U.S. business hours).
• Strong project- and time-management skills
• Excellent organization and multitasking skills
• Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), Adobe Acrobat, and other tools required in an online environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; comfortable communicating via email, Skype, and phone
• Must have remote office setup (computer, Internet and email access, reliable phone line)
Previous experience in a book publishing environment
Apply for this position
Email your resume and two references to recruit (at) manning (dot) com with job DE-2017-6 in the subject line. If selected for an interview, be prepared to complete an editing sample. This is a freelance, telecommute opportunity (no travel).